Friday, January 4, 2013

Self Portrait

Seeing yourself as others see you


For some of us, myself included, looking in the mirror or seeing a picture of ourselves can be a painful experience. Whether it's wrinkles or weight, gray hair or frizz, we are often our own harshest critics. But hey, I thought when I received my first prompt for a photography challenge, I look the way I look, and if a self portrait is our assignment, that's what I'm going to do. Then, the question was, how much "work" do I do on the self portrait?  The answer was: as little as possible. 

I chose a familiar and comfortable spot ("my" corner of the couch) and set my timer. Got a great shot of one eye. After fooling around for a while, I got the shot framed and took a bunch of  trial shots. Then a few more on another day. Still working on which one to choose. Stay tuned tomorrow for the big debut!

The blog post that has inspired this new project: Focusing on life one photo a week .

1 comment:

  1. I love your post Beti, and your picture too. You said it..it IS painful sometimes what I see in the mirror or one of the latest picture. We are our harshest critique. This project helped me to be gentle to me. Now I consciously will try to be gentle and nourishing to me.

    I think I'll enjoy this project and will visit you soon next week. A toast to our new friendship and I wish you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR. Dita

    http://www.alankarshilpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete