Monday, January 19, 2015

CREATE.SHARE.INSPIRE. Week Three: Winter Animals

Back to the oven.


No, I'm not cooking my winter animal, I'm back to Polymer clay! Our prompt from Shelley Graham Turner this week was to be inspired by a winter animal.


Now I know I have taken a lot of pictures of birds in winter, but I wanted to try something a bit different. 

I chose one of the smallest of mammals that don't hibernate in winter, the White-Footed Mouse.  

Not sure if I am going to make these into pendants as originally planned, but here they are, from sketch, to raw clay and then baked. Not sure if I am going to glaze them yet...

Sketch made with ball point pen at work


Raw clay with details on the first one. I used grated chalk for the color


Baked clay

In my hand to show scale. 


I had fun with these. They really do crouch in little balls, so it was easy to make a simplified image, yet have them be a bit realistic. 

Go see Shelley and the others link up here.


1 comment:

  1. That is so cool!! I love this weekly challenge. This mouse looks perfect and I love the texture. It's a little bit cute, but also realistic looking enough to make me hope he's not scurrying about my kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete