Tuesday, January 6, 2015

CREATE.SHARE.INSPIRE. :: Winter Challenge - Week One

Trying new things with new people. 


I am joining Shelly Graham Turner, who I have followed on her blog Fabric of My Life and in jewelry making challenges for some time,in her new weekly Winter Challenge for artists in a variety of media....

I decided to jump in and join the fun. We will be receiving a prompt on Thursdays, and blogging about our response to the prompt on Tuesdays.  

My idea was to try some new techniques, and challenge myself to follow through in a rather short time. 

Thursday Shelly sent us this prompt: 

What a lovely quote! And a pretty, calm reflection of winter. I got an idea right away. I really wanted to cover something with polymer clay, and rooted around in in a cabinet until a found a mug that had been given away as advertising. 

What I came up with was a very literal interpretation of the prompt. On a mug. It won't be used for a beverage, rather to hold  pens or paintbrushes. 



I started with a big, thin sheet of polymer clay, then cut out some pearl white snow flakes and stars. But I was afraid that I might have trouble getting them to stick...so I invented a technique to inset them into the clay, by cutting out the same shape out of the clay on the mug. As you can see in these close ups, my application technique has quite far to go, but I like that inlay look. 

After I baked it, I put some more clay on the top, and added some appliques to give it a little depth. After baking a second time...I added some little trees with alcohol ink. 

Snowy Evening Mug.

I like it. 

Let's see what the others have come up with!

Click on this link Fabric of My Life.



No comments:

Post a Comment